Photo gallery

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Catching up, chilling and cooking!



This weekend has been restful and relaxing, filled with wonderful friends and food.

Somehow I know I should be relaxing with my foot up but I still feel the need to get up and do something, so while a lovely friend came and stayed with me for the weekend, making me copious cups of hot delicious tea, cooking for me (in another life he was a chef) and generally keeping me company (esp while the LM was with his dad for the day and night on Saturday) and having some lively conversations and discussions, movie watching,  and I also decided to cook.


Over the weekend my darling friend and I watched movies too which was a real treat. We saw Get him to the Greek, which was very funny and works well with my humour, and also the fact I needed something that didn't take too much brain power. A rainy Saturday kept me in the house all day, so it was a very quiet day. We watched The book of Eli, Which while based on religious concepts (and I am not a religious person) was still a great watch. I little slowish in some places but all in all a few twists and turns keep you in.
Lastly we watched Daybreakers. I am a little hooked on Vampire stuff at the moment and this one really appealed to me... right to the end which left me very disappointed. It was very gory, and creepy. I am not a scary movie kind of person usually so I was very glad there was someone else in the house with me.

On the menu over the weekend was Spinach and Ricotta Cannelloni with a side of pan fried Chicken breast, and Orange and almond cake on Saturday night. ( no pics unfortunately!)

I had planned to bake some pumpkin sometime over the weekend so today, after cutting it up ( Bought a whole Kent pumpkin for $10 so waned to make a few things with it to last the next week).

So I had two big trays of pumpkin in the oven roasting away for 2 hours and it came out delicious... then I had to decide what to do with it..

First on the menu was Hummus. Now I know what you are thinking, that doesn't need pumpkin... but when you do it my way you end up with multiple flavours and The roast pumpkin is one of my favourite. (Recipe here)
I also made some plain and some beetroot hummus just for variety!

Next was a roast pumpkin salad that I had for dinner tonight, (recipe here) and lastly I intend to make a kind of frittata with some of the pumpkin. so for that $10 which I was a little shocked when I realised how much it was, I am getting 6-8 meals for me which I am pretty impressed about. I will give me easy simple lunches all week which all my lovely friends keep reminding me I need to keep my foot up and doing this will give me that opportunity.

Enough chickpeas and pumpkin left for at least 2-3 salads and pumpkin for the frittata too
What do you cook that lasts a few days??

I've been trying to catch up on my google reader blogs, and am not having much luck with it, I got it below a hundred the other day and it is now up to over 250 again! BUT I have read a few lately with recipies which are great so I have decided to add some recipies of my go to foods ... anything to give me something to do for the next few months. Let me know what you think?

Oh and what did the LM do while I was cooking today... he went outside... and found a Butterfly and carried it around for half an hour... he really is a sweet kid when he wants to be!

No comments:

Post a Comment