Photo gallery

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Homemade Hummus

I love Hummus, I didn't know it existed (other than on lebanese kebabs) until a few years ago but I really enjoy it now, and I make it at home. It is sooooo cheep and easy to make as long as you have a blender or food processor.

I make a basic mix and often that is as far as it goes, but sometimes I get the urge to make things a little more interesting and today was one of those days.

I start off with this basic recipe

Hummus

Ingredients:
2 to 3 cups garbanzo beans (chickpeas) or 2x 12-15 oz. cans, rinsed well
2 Tbs. cumin spice
Juice from one lemon
3 Tbs. olive oil
Up to ½ cup water
Salt to taste
¼-½ cup raw sesame tahini
1 large clove garlic
Directions:
Prepare cooked chickpeas (or canned). Combine at least 2 cups of beans, water and olive oil in a food processor and blend until smooth. Add remaining ingredients.
The reason this recipe calls for 2-3 cups of beans is because some people like hummus thinner than others. Having the extra beans available gives you a chance to find the consistency you like.

From here I like to fiddle. Most of the time I add more lemon and Cumin. ..... Oh and then it gets interesting

Today I used three tins of chickpeas becuase I wanted to make three different flavours in the end. So on top of the recipie i used a tin of beetroot and about a quarter of a pumpkin roasted.

Chickpeas, olive oil and water
Add all the rest and blitz, then i added more lemon juice and cumin
2 thirds of the mix I put aside and left a third in the processor for......
adding the roast pumpkin to.....
then another blitz till it is nice and smooth
and it is now ROAST PUMPKIN HUMMUS
Put another third of the basic HUMMUS mix back into blender with a tin of Beetroot
Blitz until smooth and you have BEETROOT HUMMUS
WALAH! ORIGINAL, BEETROOT AND HUMMUS DIPS


NOTE:

I don't bother washing the processor between flavours, I just make sure beetroot is always last. I have also done carrot, and other suggestions are sundried tomatoes, black beans or even parsley.

OH and I always split the mixes and freeze half, saves waste and that means I can make big batches and not get bored with the same flavour. AND there is always one in there if I get visitors!


What do you cook in batches??

No comments:

Post a Comment