Photo gallery

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Roast pumpkin Salad recipe

I can't remember where I first came across this recipe, I have written it in my recipe book and have then proceeded to change it a million times.

BUT what i come up with is this which really enjoy and that keeps for a few days so it is great for lunches.

RECIPE (for about 4 serves)

  • 1kg pumpkin roasted ( i used what ever pumpkin is cheapest)
  • a tin of chickpeas (you can get dried and soak them but this is easiest)
  • a bag of baby spinach or rocket (or the original recipe uses flat parsley)
  • olive oil
  • slivered Almonds or pine nuts or both
  • Sugar (optional)
  • garlic (optional)
  1. pre-heat oven to 200 degrees
  2. Cut pumpkin into slighlty larger than bite sized pieces (it shrinks) place into a roasting pan and drizzle some olive oil over the top and toss through. (You can also scatter a tablespoon of sugar over the pumpkin to caramelise it but I often don't' bother.) I sometimes roast some garlic with the pumpkin to get a little different flavour
  3. Put pumpkin into oven and roast untill soft and a little crispy (usually an hour or so)
  4. GO and have a cuppa
  5. drain chickpeas and either roast in the oven (to warm not to crunchy), or in a pan on stove top
  6. toast almonds or pine nuts or both lightly. I find it is easier on top of stove in a non stick pan but can also be done in the oven
  7. toss it all together and enjoy!

I often add some chicken to the salad to make it more filling.

DRESSING 
I make a very basic olive oil, lemon, salt and pepper to dress this with.
You could buy a simple pre-made dressing, or use your favourite.

HOT OR COLD???

I like it both ways, though I have learnt to keep the ingredients separate until I am ready to eat as the pumpkin does strange things to the greens. So I put the pumpkin and chickpeas together in the fridge, leaves separate and store the toasted nuts in the cupboard! EASY!

No comments:

Post a Comment