Photo gallery

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Grateful for boys

I read this blog post tonight over at Diary of a BeautyFull mum and it got my blood boiling enough for me to leave a long comment... and enough that I wanted to share it with you as well.

This was my comment
i totally know where you are coming from. My son was given a note from a girl in his class a few weeks ago. they knew it was wrong because of the surreptitious way with was given .... but still.... the note said.... I love you will you sex me.

I promptly turned around when straight to the school and turned the note into the teacher.
Also knowing the mother I spoke to her the next day and she too didn't understand where it came from.

Fast forward 2 days and the girl came to school with short shorts on so short that you could see the crease of her bum cheeks. Luckily the school took a stand any by the afternoon she was wearing borrowed shorts.

At this point I tell you they are 7. The girls parents are lovely and she has an older brother and sister.

BUT... all I can say is I am so grateful I hav a boy. Everytime I go shopping for a girls present I am confronted with Bratz dolls, the Veronicas range of clothing and slogan tees that a disgusting.

I hate that my friends Girls are being brought up with this where wearing this is normal and apparently ok. . . All i can do is point my son in the right direction but with all this over stimulation they are growing up faster than they can handle.  Somehow we have to grow up ahead of them and stop them from seeing this as normal.... How do we do this when some mothers just don't seem to care.

I just googled sexy 7 year olds and the majority of the results that came up were  stories from newspapers about you children being abused, or celebrity children in their "sexy" clothes. What happened to sweet, pretty, innocent 7 year olds, then I came across this result of a youtube video and many responses to it. Check out this video on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hix7Ie-IlYU

I tried to embed it and was given the message that embedding had been turned off by request... why would you put something on Youtube if you didn't want to share it... why? because just look at the comments. Yes I agree they are fantastic dancers but have a look around at some other choreography done by the same dance group. the younger the dancers the more hip and but grinding movements, the more times they grab their non- existant boobs... the older dancers choreography relies on actual jazz moves and not sexualised moves.

All I can say is in this day and age I am glad I have a boy. I can teach him right from wrong. I can shoe him that girls don't have to wear shorts or skirts that show their bums to be sexy.

No wonder our kids are confused.....

This pic of Paris Hilton is actually captioned.. Paris Hilton in Sexy Dress.....when did this become sexy and not slutty or just plain too small!

And when was this considered a cocktail frock... Can you imagine wearing this anywhere outside a strip joint or a dance club???
here



This is my idea of a cocktail frock... they don't  have to cover head to toe, but ... just leave a little bit of a person to the imagination

... I don't need to know what you had for lunch!




How do we teach our girls and boys that its ok to just be kids for while ????

5 comments:

  1. Oh Kritie - I see confused kids at school who are just like the girl you describe.
    I've had to talk to 8 yos about appropriate behaviour and I've had to make them change clothes on free-dress days (Thank Goodness for rules on sunsafe clothing!).

    ...and I've always said that girls clothing (and shoes) goes striaght from size 6 to size slut.

    ReplyDelete
  2. totally agree... but now they can buy it ( or have it bought for them) I remember hitching up my skirt in high school ... but in primary... hmmm I don't think so... my mum would have kicked my ass!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That blue one's meant to be a cocktail dress?!

    I will certainly be kicking my daughter's ass if she thinks she can go out in some of the get-ups of her peers! Yes, I am going to be one of *those* mean/prudish mums... and I don't care who thinks it, frankly! I am nervous about her clothing options after she gets out of her My Little Pony/Tinkerbell phase (which will surely only last until about size 7). You're right to be relieved, for this reason, you have a boy. Now, all the mums of boys have a duty as well: to discourage such dressing! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. (sorry, that last sentence didn't make sense....!) Meant to say, the mums of boys have a duty to help teach the boys to discourage such dressing in girls!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree... we need to show our boys how to treat a woman with respect and that starts way before puberty. I discourage words like sexy because I think outside an adult relationship they are just not appropriate.

    ReplyDelete